Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Possum's Poem.

Once there was a time - when I was the HAPPY adoptee,
Clouded by the "magic" of the happy adoption tree.

I would rarely ask those questions, that so hurt my mother dear,
She didn't like me asking, she just didn't want to hear.

The masses think adoption's great, it's one happy theme park ride,
The remarks from people unaffected, just make me want to hide.

They make me feel the thoughts I think, are unworthy for all to hear,
"The stuff that happened in your life, you should be grateful, dear."

Why is it when I find my voice, so many shoot me down,
I'm sure that they just want me, to continue playing clown.

So often have I hidden, behind my adoptee mask,
Sometimes I don't know who I am, I often need to ask.

For years I have been yearning, for absent knowledge deep inside,
That always has me thinking, for which often makes me hide.

Why was I given up from birth, what ever did I do,
To make my mother feel that way, I can’t know - “It wasn’t You”.

No one has ever told me, it's OK to feel such pain,
I fight the feelings deep inside, as I'm unable to explain.

To feel some validation here, it is some kind relief,
To make me feel that I’m not strange, to help me fight the beast.

When will the day arrive at last, for everyone to say,
Perhaps we made a few mistakes, ADOPTION is NOT the way.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... I love this. LOVE IT. It made me cry a bit. Oh how well did you capture the feelings, the insecurities and the unknowns. I feel so simalarly to you, as I am sure many others do as well.
I am one of the lucky ones, to have some of those questions and unknowns answered. However, the pain is still there, and still hurts.
Great post, really.

21/3/07, 3:41 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Poss, This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. I hope that you will soon get more of what you are looking for. Love and hugs, Rebecca

21/3/07, 4:19 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I heart this poem so much!

and parenthesis for Possum

(((((((((((((Possum))))))))))))


yeah.

21/3/07, 4:42 am  
Blogger Going Back to Square One said...

I can only pray; pray, that I am able to help E-baby answer these questions, along with her firstmom as she grows...so that she won't experience these hurts as profoundly. I know I can't stop them, but by facing them head-on, I will try.

Kisses to you, Possum.

21/3/07, 5:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This poem is BRILLIANT!!!!!!

21/3/07, 9:25 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

FABULOUS poetry my dear.

I find it such a great expression of the soul.

Hugs & understanding... xxx

21/3/07, 1:45 pm  
Blogger Andie D. said...

I made my husband read this. He says he's open to learning more about what it's really like to be an adoptee.

All he could say was "Wow. That was powerful."

And it was. You're not alone in your feelings. I'm so thrilled that I'm not alone either.

Thank you.

21/3/07, 3:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Poss. Thank you so much for posting this. Your courage and strength shines through more every day. (((Poss))))

21/3/07, 3:55 pm  
Blogger Possum said...

Jessie, Rebecca, Joy, Going back to square one, Mia, Alex, Andie & Paula - thank you all for your validation and empowerment - it means the world.

I'm a little tired Possum today - too many assignments - not enough sleep - and the dreaded adoption crap always hanging over my head. LOL - or I'll cry!!!

But it does help to write about it - and after I wrote the first line (it was just going to be a normal post) I just HAD to turn my thoughts into a poem!!
I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!!!!

Hugs to all, Poss. xxxx
(oh - and - parenthesis back at you Joy - hee)

21/3/07, 5:16 pm  
Blogger Ungrateful Little Bastard said...

This adoption poem makes me grateful.

21/3/07, 8:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome,awesome,awesome.

I love it.

22/3/07, 12:43 am  
Blogger Nina said...

Possum, I love the way you captured the agony of the adoptee in this poem. Beautiful!!!

22/3/07, 2:48 am  
Blogger juliaNY07 said...

OMG...See last comment re book, dito!
I am sure once M goes to school I will be a little bored - I can help you write it from Cyberspace! Oh, once you get quadratic equations sorted. Love you..Jxx

22/3/07, 12:15 pm  
Blogger Lizard said...

Possum,
You're AWESOME!

23/3/07, 3:28 am  
Blogger Doughnut said...

Great poem Possum! I will always feel we should catalog all the creativity you and other adoptees have to make a book OR just a website of adoptee feelings. I wonder what kind of reaction that would get??? Keep on expressing them Poss...

23/3/07, 4:26 am  
Blogger L said...

Screw all the haters.
You're entitled to your opinion.
Who are they to judge you?
You've lived it.

23/3/07, 8:12 am  
Blogger L said...

p.s.
Great poem.

23/3/07, 8:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Poem, I heart this poem so much too (and I like to steal Joy's ideas and text!)

23/3/07, 8:47 am  
Blogger Possum said...

Theresa, Fee, Nina, Julia, Julie, Leroy, Beth & Kim - thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.
You warm this little Possum's heart.
Poss. xxx

23/3/07, 3:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home