Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Faces Of First Mums.

Nicole, over at Paragraphein, has put together a wonderful slide-show of the faces of first mums.

So often, society is too quick to label first mums - saying they are crack whores that can't possibly look after their children.

Reality - so many are just never given the support they need to parent their child - and too often greedy adoption agencies and adoption lawyers are too quick to take away their babies.

It's National Adoption Awareness Month in the US - I wish more people would become aware of the loss and heartache that is so often in adoption.

In my opinion - too many are far too quick to ignore the 'other' side - the side I, and many of my adoptee & first mum friends have had to endure.

Please go and check out - Nic's post.

Poss. xxxx

2 Comments:

Blogger Nina said...

Hey Possum,

On the one hand, thank goodness the evil Closed Era of adoption is behind us.

On the other, adoption is now Big Business and it's so often portrayed as a win-win for everybody and it's happy and wonderful and then there's the whole Aren't Adoptive Parents Awesome for Rescuing a Child angle...that it's more than a bit hard for us adoptees to swallow. Without gagging.

9/11/07, 2:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Nina. I am adopted. Met my mother, foudn my father but he doesn't remember me and wont' meet me. Whatever.
A friend of my husband who is 60 and his 40 year old wife are adopting a baby from Guatamala. Every time my husband starts talking about it I have to leave the room. I can't even talk about it without getting upset. Thanks for your blog. I enjoy reading it.
Karen keltd813@yahoo.com

17/11/07, 1:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home